Learning at the exhibition
BELEXPO offers you an opportunity to rekindle the joy of learning!
Covering skills and disciplines taught in schools, you can select activities that use your pupils' results, as well as teaching sheets covering BELEXPO themes.
Some teaching sheets cover several subject areas: their structure allows you to work in an interdisciplinary way. Make your choices based on your goals, your programme and the needs of your pupils. All sheets are modular.
Target skill: interpretation of graphs
Here are two graphs displaying your pupils' results.
Their solutions to urban pollution
Have chosen the right action Have not chosen the right action
Their choice of profession
The sheet offers you an alternative approach to analysing data.
Target skill: solving simple direct proportionality problems
- Invite your students to calculate the CO2 savings archieved by using the BELEXPO bicycles !
Here are the data for the problem:
- Total times spent on the bicycles: 0 minutes
- Speed : average in the city centre: 10km/h
- Average CO2 saving travelling by bike compared to travelling by car : 160g CO2 per km
- BELEXPO's GOODFOOD recipes: another opportunity to work on proportionality. The dishes waiting to be discovered at BELEXPO are all made using recipes from the site www.recettes4saisons.be
From a recipe for 4 people, calculate the quantities needed for the class. Identify the proportions as fractions. Calculate the total cost of ingredients and then the cost per person. Divide the tasks and work together to prepare a tasty meal! Recipe ideas, lists of suppliers and shops at www.goodfood.brussels.
Target skills :
- understanding the overall meaning.
- extracting specific pieces of information.
Target skill: developing content - searching for and inventing ideas and words.
Plan a creative exercise for your pupils :
- Invent an imaginary profession by combining words form two lists: one profession and one environmental issue.
- Describe it in a few sentences or with a drawing.
- Go even further: use the beginning of one word and the end of another. Example: A wastessor ("waste"+ professor") teaches families to reduce their waste. Thanks to the wastessor, we can say goodbye to rubbish bins.
- Share your creations. Send them by email or via the BELEXPO Facebook page.
Download the list or words for the exercise here.
Target skill: using points of reference and representaitons of space.
Organise a survey on how pupils travel to school and place the results on a map, as seen in BELEXPO. Discuss observations and action plans with your class and identify alternative routes.
- An example of a table used to collect the data (-- CV PDF link to come --)
- A sample map to process the information
- BruGIS maps : The map website covers the whole of the Brussels-Capital Region.
Target skill: collecting information through experimentla research and observation
You will be given a bag of seeds, an invitaiton to grow something "for real"
- Give a few seeds to each group of pupils and suggesty that the vary the growing conditions: soil types, humidity, light.
- Ask them to keep a logbook of the sowing and growing process (written description - drawing - photos) and their hypotheses.
- Whick group will be able to grow the most beautiful plants?
- Better ways to get around an CO2 awareness
- Understanding the greenhouse effect and its impact: an experimental approach
- Urban water management: the water cycle and human influence
- Daily energy consumption
- The impact of climate change on the city
- Building insulation: energy, heat, conductors, insulators
As part of the "relaxation" unit, your students will discover works of art made by other schoolchildren. Why don't they have a go too?
In small groups, create works of art inspired by the environment and green spaces: observation notebooks, paintings, leaf prints, video clips, sculptures or photo reports: let yourself be inspired by nature to make beautiful pieces of art! Bij contacting BELEXPO beforehand, professional artists can be brought in to supervise your group.
- Get a"behind the scenes" loot at a BELEXPO project
- To contribute the work of your class to be displayed at BELEXPO
- ( coming soon )
Conduct a survey on alternative consumption patterns
Target skills :
- embracing the plurality of cultures and beliefs
- listening to others through discussion